Saturday 9 October 2010

Week Two Already

I am so out of touch with current news. For the first time since I got here I checked out BBC news and discovered, among other things, that the labour leadership contest whatsit is over. I have absolutley no idea what's been going on at home so if y'all could comment something that has happened in the past couple of weeks that would be sweet.

I can't believe this week is over already, it seems like yesterday that I was writing last week's post. Phil Cunningham was our speaker this week. He's doing some super cool stuff at the mo - check out stepsofjustice.org

One of the things that really stuck out this week was the fact that we can all make a difference (super cliche I know) We tend to look at problems and go 'I can't fix everyone, the problem is too big so I may as well not bother.' Over this week I have come to realise that making a difference to one person's life is worth making the effort. It's not a failure if you don't change everyone's life, but it is a failure if you don't even bother to try to help at all.   

One of the things we did this week was pick one of three groups of people to represent for a day. Those who chose 'water' were not allowed to use water all day - including no showers, no drinking and no flushing the toilet. Those in the 'food' group were not allowed to eat all day but had to be present at all meals. I chose to be in the 'poverty' group. All we had that day was what we woke up with - so if you didn't sleep with shoes on then you had no shoes. If we wanted something to eat or drink we had to ask someone from the water or food group to get it for us. 
The point of the exercise was to give us a small insight into what it's like for people in these situations. I didn't know what a blessing shoes are until I walked to and from class in socks. I had a minor freakout when I took my socks off and saw how black with dirt my feet were, and I mean actual blackness - like midnight. The whole walk to and from school (I love calling it school) all I could think about was cutting my feet on something, getting an infection, followed by an awkward conversation with my mum explaining what I'd done and why I'd be home earlier than planned, and then naturally an amputation would follow (not that I'm overly dramatic or anything).

 Fortunately I didn't cut myself, but for those with no shoes who walk more dangerous routes than I did this is a real possibility. Unlike me, who would be treated in a nice hospital and would have my bills covered by medical insurance (unless they have a 'we won't cover you if you chose to go without shoes' clause, which is quite possible - the policy is 33 pages long and I would probs end up in a boredom induced coma if I attempted to read it all), those injured by not having any shoes may face being unable to work and therefore provide for their families, as well as being stuck with massive (supposedly not a real word, but if Shakespeare used it then why can't I?) hospital bills.
 
So what can you do? (Yep, the mind-reading still works). Well, if you're the praying type then a bit of the old knee-mail wouldn't go amiss. Supporting an organisation that provides shoes for those without would be super cool. I'd love to suggest an organisation to you but that's what google is for. If shopping is your thing then maybe you could buy some TOMS (again, google is the key here people).

So yeah, another great week. I also wrote a really long version of this post so email if you want to read it.

1 comment:

  1. Lol Rachellllllllll i LOVE the blog i randomly saw the link n had a lil look n read! Gosh it sounds like such an experience that your having makes me wanna pack up a bag n travel somewhere lol
    Seems like your learnign alot of new things n getting to make a bit of a difference which is cool. Your blog now holds a place in my favourites so keep posting as i shall be checking in to have a read of what you've been up to while im still tryna figure out what what exactly life after graduation is all about... so far its not all that heheheh.

    Hope your well though, looking forward 2 the next read my G4 compadre (i think thats how u spell it oh well :)

    Tanika x x x

    p.s. If u think its at all possible can u throw some sunshine in our direction its getting a bit 2 cold 4 me to handle :)

    ReplyDelete