Saturday 6 November 2010

Week Six

So it’s week 6 already and I’ve begun to miss things from home. I know what you’re thinking, “it’s only after six weeks that this girl begins to miss things from home? Does she even have a heart?” The answer to that is no. I do not have, nor have ever had, a heart (at least not since I lost it while watching Castaway. I almost lost my sanity too but fortunately Wilson was there for me to talk to).
So what do I miss?
·         My wardrobe – I miss my clothes. I’m bored of the ones I have with me. I even miss the clothes that I haven’t worn for years but can’t bear to be parted with – you never know when you’ll need your Scary Spice leopard print dress (actually I do, my surprise welcome home party (hint hint) is gonna be Spice Girls themed. You have until sometime in April to get your costume ready and to learn the dance for Stop Right Now).
·         Croy to-the den – it misses me too, I can tell these things. The psychology of your home city was the second lecture we had at uni after how to read minds.
·         English accents – I was chatting to someone at the hostel the other day and had to ask if she was English as I couldn’t tell from her accent. Turns out she’s from West Sussex. I’m worried that by the time I go home I won’t be able to tell the difference between Southern accents and Northern ones.

Oh yeah, and family and friends of course.
Our justice movie this week was a documentary called War Dance, check www.wardancethemovie.com . It’s about a group of children of the Acholi tribe in Northern Uganda. The rebel army, the Lord’s Resistance Army, have raided the nearby villages and homes and so the children and their remaining family members live in a camp guarded by the national army. Any movement outside of the camp and away from the protection of the national army guarding the camp is dangerous. The children featured are part of a group from their school competing in a national music, drama and dance competition in Kampala. Out of all the films we’ve watched on the school I found this one the hardest to watch. The pain of the children as they told of what the LRA had done to them and the destruction caused to their families was evident. However it was also one of the most hopeful, the pain and torment was replaced with joy when they were performing. Sometimes it feels like God is so far away from those in these situations, but the joy they found in performing was evidence that although he may seem far away, in truth he’s right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment